The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Let´s get technical

So I´m just finishing up twelve days of what the Peace Corps calls technical training. For the last week we´ve been traveling all over Ecuador visiting other Peace Corps volunteers, hearing about their projects, and hopefully gaining some new technical knowledge to go start our own projects.

Traveling anywhere in Ecuador seems to require a grueling bus ride of at least five hours along rocky roads clinging to steep cliff sides. But we´ve visited some incredible places. Yesterday we learned how to use GIS systems for land mapping. This is a pretty big feat for a girl who can barely figure out how to work her cell phone. It was a blast.

We went into the Amazon jungle and hiked around practicing marking points and trails with the GPS. I saw giant tropical flowers, crazy spiked caterpillars and a mushroom that looked like an eyeball. We returned tired and covered in river mud to eat a dish of ¨iampaco¨a delicious indigenous meal of chicken, onions, hearts of palm and yucca wrapped in palm leaves and baked over hot coals.

Sometimes it's hard to believe I'm actually here. It's such a completely different world but every day brings a new adventure.


This is why I love machetes.




















Eyeball mushroom.












Iampaco lunch.

4 comments:

  1. Pictures!!! The perks of living vicarously through you is all of the scenery and none of the poison snakes, but only if you post pictures! :)

    Oh and i miss you tons :P

    -Rian

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read this. i'm a fan. update all the time so i have something to read while i'm living with my parents.

    -anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having a good time! I agree with Rian, post pics! And your spelling is mostly great! Who ever said you couldn't spell? Wait, that might have been me ;-) I say this every time we talk, but enjoy every minute of this wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be forwarned I´m pretty sure that living in Ecuador isn´t improving my Spanish it´s just making me forget how to speak English. But at least now I have an excuse for the horrible spelling.

    Also I like the comments they make me feel a little bit like a celebrity.

    ReplyDelete