The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Guess who's coming to dinner

I was sitting at the dinner table the other night when my host mother suddenly screeched and pointed at the wall behind me with a look of terror on her face. I turned my head to see a giant tarantula moseying her way up towards the ceiling. My host mother then told me that this particular type of tarantula can jump several meters and is venomous. At this point I felt it would be a good idea to escape to the other side of the room and hide in the corner behind the refrigerator.

My host dad, possibly the most fearless person I've ever met, took out a broom and killed the unfortunate intruder. He then brought out his reading glasses and a needle intent on spearing and preserving his slightly squished victim. My host mom however wasn't going to stand for a large hairy spider hanging on the wall in her kitchen and insisted he throw it out. Don't worry I made sure he put it in the organic bin.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of our dinner guest but for a little perspective hold out your hand with the fingers spread wide. Now imagine that hand covered in black fur and put fangs on it. That's more or less what the spider looked like.

Never a dull dinner in the Oriente.

2 comments:

  1. Your last two posts make me fear for your safety. I'm planning a Bingo Baile party when you get back in honor of your bravery.

    Do people camp in the Amazon at all as a recreational activity in that area? Do you? Sounds like it would be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being that they eat every part of any animal they can get their hands on, I'm surprised they haven't discovered and tried to eat any "non-poisonous" parts of the tarantula. If people eat specially prepared poisonous blowfish, why not tarantula? Chocolate covered arachnid, anyone?

    ReplyDelete